- 2 x 200g / 7.05oz Skin-on Huon salmon portions
- 1 tbsp rice bran oil
- 140g / 4.9oz white cup mushrooms finely chopped
- 1 golden shallot finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- 10g / 0.35oz Western Star original salted Butter
- 1 tbsp Squeaky gate The All Rounder-Extra-Virgin Olive oil
- 2 tsp Gourmet garden Zesty lemon paste
- ½ tsp salt
½ cup parsley chopped
Lemon Caper Sauce
- 2 tbsp baby capers, chopped
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- ½ lemon juiced
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano chopped
- 1 tbsp flat-leaf parsley chopped
- ½ clove garlic crushed
- Fresh cracked black pepper
Step 1. Place a round 20cm (approx. 7.9in) diameter metal pan into the KILN set with lower burner on, upper burner on low and turntable on. Allow to heat up for 4 minutes.
Step 2. Remove pan, add the olive oil, garlic and shallots and place back into the KILN. Cook for 5 minutes, add the remainder of mushroom filling ingredients except the parsley and cook for 6 more minutes. Remove and add the chopped parsley when the mushroom mix has cooled.
Step 3. Evenly butterfly the Huon salmon and divide the mushroom filling between the two salmon portions. Fold up and secure with butcher’s string.
Step 4. Place a 23cm (approx. 9in) cast iron skillet pan into the KILN, set to low and heat up for 4 minutes.
Step 5. Remove and add in the rice bran oil. Place the salmon portions skin-side down into the pan. Loosely cover the tops with a double fold of aluminum foil. Turn the main burner to the lowest setting and place the salmon into the KILN. Turn on the rotating turn table and allow to cook for 6 to 7 minutes. When the internal temperature of the salmon reaches 50°C (122°F) remove and let it rest in the pan for several minutes. The skin should be golden and crisp and the fish glossy pink.
Step 6. Combine the lemon caper sauce ingredients and serve with the salmon.
Recipe: Hayden Quinn
As seen on Channel 10’s Taste of Australia with Hayden Quinn